Back in Aug 2015, I was in Cambodia for my short abroad assignment. For the first time, I applied for a new Viet passport issued by Viet Nam embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I thought I would not need a new one that soon. Yet, I was wrong. Less than a year later, I applied for a new (my 4th) passport in Bangkok, Thailand.
A different point for the 4th one, I could not find any form or much info of procedures on Vietnam embassy website. In Cambodia, I called and got guided quite in detail by an embassy staff. In Thailand, I searched and chatted on Viet Nam embassy’s Facebook page.
No requirement for additional documents from my company.
- 2 photos with size 4mmx6mm (white background, clothes with dark color)
- 1 current valid passport (in this case, mine ran out of pages) with a long-term, non-immigrant, multiple entry visa issued by Thailand (I mean, there are tons of stamps from Thailand on my passport! :P)
- 1 current valid ID card (otherwise, it will take longer time for Embassy to contact your local authority to verify and they will call you back if there is anything in doubt)
- Passport fee: regular service with 5 working day: 70USD (more or less, I cannot remember exactly as I paid in Thai bahts). There is no express service.
- 1 passport issuance form (provided free of charge through their Facebook page channel)
I was excited for that time (less paperwork). I also did not book any appointment in advance. On that day, I took a motorcycle to the embassy in the afternoon with my filled and signed form and 2 pictures (with their required standard). I found out fun facts which are not mentioned on their website or Facebook page
- AM session: submit documents (in my case, new passport issuance form and pictures)
- PM session: receive approved documents (my new passport)
I obviously went to a wrong session. It took me 2 other times to get my new passport. I wished they could have posted that on-line so that I could arrange my tasks at work more efficiency. I picked my new one after 5 business days.
One note for Vietnamese passport holder (and it seems globally applicable)
- there is no service to add more pages when your current passport runs out of pages
- new passport has the same number of pages, 48 pages
- fill in passport issuance form carefully in Vietnamese and remember to provide them your local phone number
Again I now have my 2 passports stapled together: the old and the new. There is no problem when I am back Vietnam or when I travel around. There is a note on my new passport for other countries’ immigration officers’ reference.
TIPS SHARED IN THIS PORT ARE ONLY APPLICABLE IN THAILAND WITH LONG TERM AND NON-IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT VISA – OTHER CASES ARE ADVISED TO CONTACT EMBASSY DIRECTLY FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE