I have done one first thing in my life again this week – applying for a new passport when I am abroad.
To be honest, I planned to fly back my home country and then take a bus to my hometown to process my passport application. That could take me up to 10 working days or more. No guarantee.
One of my good friends asked me to check with my embassy in Cambodia. Brilliant! I asked my current manager for one day off to fulfill my passport-must-have task.
I called to Vietnam Embassy one week before my trip to ask which documents they required and what details they wanted my employer to state if needed. Below is a list I prepared
- 2 photos with size 4mmx6mm (white background, clothes with dark color)
- 1 recommendation letter issued by my company with my current manager’s signature stated my current role, my current tasks and contact information for them to verify if needed
- 1 current valid passport (in this case, mine ran out of pages) with a long term multiple entry biz visa issued by Cambodia or a current foreign country where you are working/staying.
- 1 current valid ID card (otherwise, it will take longer time for Embassy to contact your local authority to verify and they will call you back if there is anything in doubt)
- Passport fee: (1) regular service with 5 working day: 70USD and (2) express service with 1 working day: 100USD
- 1 passport form (provided free of charge at Vietnam Embassy)
One note for Vietnamese passport holder
- there is no service to add more pages when your current passport runs out of pages
- new passport has the same number of pages, appx 48 pages
- fill in passport form carefully in Vietnamese and remember to provide them your local phone number
You can easily Google Embassy of Vietnam’s address. Kindly do not expect a lot of updated information on those websites, as well as, there is no FAQ session/page.
I am glad that the staff I met in the embassy was nice and helpful enough to guide me what to process my new passport application. Pretty much needed information are listed and they only ask for more if you do not provide them.
Now I have my 2 passports stapled together: the old and the new. There will not be a problem as I got informed when I am back Vietnam or when I travel around. There is a note on my new passport for other countries’ immigration officers’ reference.
Feeling much better now 🙂 Good luck to you in case you have to apply for a new passport when you are abroad like me!
TIPS SHARED IN THIS PORT ARE ONLY APPLICABLE IN CAMBODIA WITH LONG TERM BIZ VISA – OTHER CASES ARE ADVISED TO CONTACT EMBASSY DIRECTLY FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE