Ten tips for hiking with kids copied from Paul Molyneaux.
1. Keep pack weight under 20 percent of body weight
2. Let the kids lead the hike
3. Assign responsibilities, like tent setting up and cooking
4. Take lots of play breaks
5. Get gear for them that is high quality and designed for kids. Tatonka makes great child size packs. Deuter makes a great pre-teen size pack. LL Bean makes a very sturdy kids hiking boot.
6. Don’t try hiking with school backpacks, they tend to hang on a child and are not meant for the trail.
7. Make sure the kids have rain gear that really keeps them dry
8. Have an objective that they are enthusiastic about
9. Watch kids carefully, check feet for blisters, keep kids fed and hydrated
10. Teach them respect for the wild, and to leave no trace
I am down for any hiking. Let’s hike this June!!! ❤